Cross-phase languages collaboration day
Pupils from King Ecgbert School and Totley Primary came together to celebrate the German Karneval celebration.
SHEFFIELD HELAU! Totley Primary School’s Y4s and Y5s, who are taught German by Liz Griggs, and Mr Merritt’s Y10 German class from King Ecgbert School collaborated recently on a fun-filled, action-packed German Karneval celebration. The immersive afternoon festival included:
- a presentation about the Karneval season in Germany
- singing and dancing to some lively German Karneval songs
- a café experience - with the Y4s and Y5s ordering in German and the Y10s serving them in German! - with some traditional German cakes and drinks
- Karneval word puzzles
- Karneval mask-making
- lessons (taught by the Y10s) learning some German animal vocabulary
- an enchanting presentation and even magic from our guest speaker, Primary Languages Advisor and committed Germanist Nigel Pearson
- more singing and dancing
- … and a very traditional rain shower of Haribo sweets and Kinder chocolate!
Excitement and enthusiasm were high throughout the afternoon from students of all ages, and the staff were thrilled to have the opportunity to promote the German language, cultural differences, and cross-phase collaborations within Mercia Learning Trust.